IFCS is pleased to announce a change to the Team Triathlon rules for the 2017 World Agility Championship in Spain.
The Team Triathlon will be split into two separate divisions for awards and medals as set forth below, highlighting both small dog teams and large dog teams in next year’s world championship event. This rule change may be a consideration by each nation in selecting their team members (handlers and dogs) to ensure participation in both the small and large divisions. The full regulations will be released soon. The following draft regulations are to be included without significant- changes.
2.2. Program of national team competition (for the IFCS member and recognized nations):
- Team Triathlon Small Dog Division (Agility-Standard + Jumping + 3 Dog Team Relay);
- Team Triathlon Large Dog Division (Agility-Standard + Jumping + 3 Dog Team Relay).
3.2. Eligible Nations (all except those classified as a “Guest” Nation) can submit up to four (4) Triathlon teams as specified in this paragraph and in section 3.3. All individuals from a Member Nation – including “past” IFCS Medal Winners are eligible for selection by Team Manager/Team Coach for the Triathlon.
3.2.1 All eligible Nations compete against each other in the Triathlon, in two different groups of Small and Large Division. There will be separate award ceremony and medals for each of the two Groups.
Entry from each Nation must not exceed 4 Teams in total and must not exceed 3 Small Teams or 3 Large Teams.
For Example, as a maximum, any one Nation may submit the following:
- Up to three (3) Teams in the Small Dog division and one (1) Team in the Large Dog Division, or
- Up to three (3) Teams in the Large Dog division and one (1) Team in the Small Dog Division, or
- Two (2) Teams in each division.
Each Triathlon “Team” shall be comprised of three (3) Competitors (i.e., handlers and dogs).
3.2.2. No Handler or Dog may be on more than one Triathlon Team (T1 or T2 or 3 Dog Team Relay) as an initial team member or a substitute member. Substitutes must be Handlers and Dogs that have not already competed in a Triathlon class during this Championship.
3.2.3. Each Team must at all times meet the composition requirements of Regulations 3.2.2 and 3.3, and no Handler or Dog who has participated in a Triathlon class on one “Team” may be substituted for a Handler or Dog on the Nation’s other Triathlon team (s).
Notwithstanding, a Handler who for example has ran a small dog on a Team in T1 may then run a large dog on T2, for the same team, as long as all other rules apply and the team remains a Small team or a Large team as applicable (as per 3.2.4).
3.2.4 The Team submitted for a Triathlon team shall remain the same “Division” for all three rounds.
- A “Small” Division team will always stay a “Small” Division team.
- A “Large” Division team will always stay a “Large” Division team.
- As long as the Triathlon team stays the same Division, Small or Large, the composition of the Triathlon team within that Division may change from Class to Class provided the requirements of Regulations 3.2.3 and 3.3 are followed.
- For example:
- A Nation may enter a Small Division team in “Jumping – Team Triathlon (T1)” that is made up of “2 Small/Mini dogs and 1 Medium/Midi dog”.
- A Nation may then change the team for “Agility-Standard – Team Triathlon (T2)” and change to have “2 Small/Mini dogs and 1 Maxi dog”.
- As long as Regulations 3.2.3 and 3.3 are followed.
- And no Handler or Dog has already competed in a Triathlon Class on another team.
3.2.5. Event organizers will publicly publish the Triathlon team course for the day at 7:30 am on the day of a Triathlon class. Nations have until 8:30am to submit to Event Secretary the names of the handlers (from among their Nation’s handlers) and dogs for inclusion on their team or teams.
No changes or alternates/substitutes will be permissible following these times other than due to a legitimate and confirmed medical injury to a nominated handler or dog that has occurred on the day of the Triathlon class in question. Notwithstanding any change to the team for medical reasons, the Triathlon team must still compete with a team that complies with Regulation 3.2 (all) and 3.3, and no Handler or Dog may be on more than one Triathlon team.
In such instance, after confirmation of the injury by the event organizers and the IFCS Council, and when present, the official veterinarian, if the injury is to a dog, a substitute in accordance with Regulation 3.2 (all) and 3.3 may be nominated from remaining team members that were not already nominated earlier that morning and who have not participated on the other Teams of the Triathlon class as limited by Regulations 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 (i.e., no handler or dog can run a Triathlon course more than once or serve on more than one Triathlon team).
3.2.6. At all times, the height composition requirements of Section 3.3 shall be maintained.
3.3. All Teams within a Triathlon class must have one of the following compositions of three handlers with:
Small Dog Division (Maximum of 3 Teams) Large Dog Division (Maximum of 3 Teams)
2 Toy dogs and 1 Medium/Midi dog 2 Medium/Midi dogs and 1 Toy dog
2 Toy dogs and 1 Large/Maxi dog 2 Medium/Midi dogs and 1 Small/Mini dog
2 Small/Mini dogs and 1 Medium/Midi dog 2 Large/Maxi dogs and 1 Toy dog
2 Small/Mini dogs and 1Large/ Maxi dog 2 Large/Maxi dogs and 1 Small/Mini dog
3.3.1 Please refer to Regulation 3.2 (all) for details relating to team composition. No Nation may exceed 4 Teams and no Nation may have more than 3 Teams in the Small Dog Division and no Nation may have more than 3 Teams in the Large Dog Division.
- Once a team has competed as a Small Dog Division team – it must always stay in the Small Division.
- Once a team has competed as a Large Dog Division team – it must always stay in the Large Division.